Don’t Let the Rain Stop Your Workout
‹ Back to
Don’t let the rain cause a slump in your workout routine. Use these tips to stay on your game when it rains — and perhaps put a new spin on your workout routine.
Join a gym
While a rather obvious idea, joining a gym (if you haven’t already) is a great way to stay in shape during the winter AND discover some great new workouts. If you are normally a runner, consider picking up a new weight lifting routine to challenge different muscles.
Joining a gym can also be a good way to expand your exercising social circle. Having a workout buddy always helps stay consistent. Many gyms offer new member specials at the beginning of the year, so try out a couple of local spots to find a good fit!
Stay home — to workout that is! In the Internet age, finding a workout routine has never been easier. At-home workouts have gained popularity for their flexibility and creativeness. If you know where to look you can find the perfect at-home workout routine for you!
- Barre3 offers online and studio-based classes that combine movements from ballet, yoga and Pilates for a challenging, low-impact workout. Online plans start at $15/month.
- Blogilates brings you fun and energetic Pilates and body weight workouts that you can fit in anytime, anywhere.
- Bodyrock.tv is a free website that offers fitness videos and health and wellness articles to keep you motivated throughout the year.
- Dailyburn has a wide variety of workouts from personal trainers for a flat, monthly fee. Best of all, your workouts are available on your computer, tablet and gaming systems so you can workout anywhere.
Take a class
Gyms, community colleges and studios offer great options for indoor exercising such as yoga, rock climbing, racquetball, boot camps, kickboxing and spinning. Classes give you get a great workout and exposure to a new type of exercise. Experiment with different workouts and instructors to keep you motivated and coming back for more.
Try an app for that
Mobile devices have practically become an extra appendage, so bring your workout to your home screens! Workout apps help you work out regardless of the weather or your physical ability. Check out free fitness apps like FitStar Personal Trainer, Nike+ Training Club, Sworkit, JEFIT and many more available through iOS and Android.
Avoid a rainy day setback
When it is rainy outside, it can be all too easy to put on comfy clothes and settle in for a movie marathon. Here are a couple tips for staying motivated when it rains:
- Take your workouts one day at a time. Don’t get defeated if you feel you aren’t working out quite as hard as you did during the spring and summer.
- Buy new workout gear to keep you warm and dry.
- Set a goal. For example, you might decide to register for a half-marathon in spring to keep you motivated to run when it’s wet.
- Try something new every couple of weeks to keep your routine fresh and your muscles challenged.
Get out there
Is there really a good reason why you can’t workout in the rain? A study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine says no! This study found that participants who worked out in the rain worked out harder and might have burned off more energy in the process. While it’s not for everyone, if you do choose to workout in the rain be sure to dress appropriately in water-resistant clothing and choose exercises that will minimize your chances of slipping on wet surfaces.
No matter what Mother Nature, you’ll be set for a fit and active rainy season by incorporating a few of these suggestions into your routine. Happy workout!