How and where to get tested – and when it’s most appropriate.
What are common symptoms of COVID-19?
According to the Centers for Disease Control, people with COVID-19 can have a wide range of symptoms. Symptoms can be mild to severe and may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.
You may have COVID-19 if you have:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Should I get tested for COVID-19?
You can discuss your symptoms or concerns with your primary care physician first or go directly to one of the testing sites listed below.
You may want to get tested if:
- You have symptoms of COVID-19 (see above).
- You have had close contact (within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) with someone with confirmed COVID-19.
- You have been asked or referred to get tested by your health care provider.
Where should I get tested for COVID-19?
Clinic and mobile testing sites are available in San Francisco and the East Bay.
Please be aware that increased demand for testing may affect clinic hours and wait times.
- Carbon Health has both clinic and mobile testing available across the Bay Area. Appointments are required and a full listing of locations is available online: carbonhealth.com/coronavirus
- CityHealth has testing options in centers in San Francisco and San Leandro. Appointments are required and must be made online. Visit bayareacovid19testing.com for details.
- GoHealth/Dignity are assessing patients through virtual visits scheduled online and, if needed, scheduling appointments at one of their centers open for testing: www.gohealthuc.com/bayarea
- Additional options for COVID-19 testing may be available through your health plan. Please visit your plan’s website for testing information specific to your coverage.
- Find my doctor
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Website
- Is it Coronavirus or the Flu? (pdf)
- Customer Service
- COVID-19 Testing Update for San Francisco Members
- COVID-19 Testing Location Flyer (pdf)